National green tribunal has been recently in news for banning river rafting camps on the bank of river Ganga near Rishikesh. A bench headed by Justice UD Salvi slammed Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) and the Uttarakhand government for not filing their replies in the case and directed them to file their response by August 7.
So here are some important points about NGT :
- NGT established on 18.10.2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- Chairperson – Mr. Justice Swatanter Kumar
- Head office – Faridkot House, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi
- First Chairperson- Lokeshwar Singh Panta
- Who headed the bench which Banned River rafting- Justice UD Salvi