Here are the 50 english questions asked in SSC CGl which also useful in other exam,
Directions (Qs. 1 to 5) : In these questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (A), (B), (C) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (D).
1. Hitler was an absolute potentate.
(A) dictator (B) militant (C) ruler (D) No improvement (Ans : A)
2. Having completion of the course, the students left college.
(A) On completion of (B) In order to complete
(C) Down the completion (D) No improvement (Ans : A)
3. Will you please give me a warm glass of water?
(A) Will you please give me a glass of warm water?
(B) Will you please give I a warm glass of water?
(C) Would you please give I a warm glass of water ?
(D) No improvement (Ans : A)
4. Boil the potatoes and then crush it until soft.
(A) smash it (B) knead it (C) mash it (D) No improvement (Ans : C)
5. The presented him a beautiful expensive designer gold pen.
(A) an expensive designer beautiful gold (B) a beautiful gold expensive designer
(C) a designer gold beautiful expensive (D) No improvement (Ans : D)
Directions (Qs. 6 to 10) : In these questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/ sentence.
6. Animals which suckle their young–
(A) Herbivores (B) Mammals (C) Carnivores (D) Omnivores (Ans : B)
7. A drug or other substance that induces sleep–
(A) Reviver (B) Stimulant (C) Energic (D) Sedative (Ans : D)
8. A speech delivered without any preparation–
(A) Temporary (B) Exemplary (C) Extempore (D) Contemporary (Ans : C)
9. Animals that eat flesh–
(A) Herbivorous (B) Carnivorous (C) Omnivorous (D) Insectivorous (Ans : B)
10. A fictitious name especially one assumed by an author–
(A) Nick name (B) Pseudonym (C) Sobriquet (D) Pet name (Ans : B)
Directions (Qs. 11 to 15) : In these questions, four words are given in each question, out of which only one word is correctly spelt. Find the correctly spelt word.
11. (A) Planeing (B) Planning (C) Planing (D) Planning (Ans : B)
12. (A) Ubiqutous (B) Ubequitous (C) Ubiquitous (D) Ubequitus (Ans : C)
13. (A) Exenerate (B) Exonerate (C) Exanrate (D) Exonarate (Ans : B)
14. (A) Noticible (B) Noticeible (C) Noticable (D) Noticeable (Ans : D)
15. (A) Bilieve (B) Beleive (C) Believe (D) Beleeve (Ans : C)
Directions (Qs. 16 to 25) : In these questions, in the following passage some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer to each question out of the four alternatives and fill in the blanks.
No child is …(16)… spoilt child by birth. It is …(17)… family conditions and circumstances …(18)… which a child grows up …(9)… spoil him. It is common experience that a …(20)… wanted child or the only child …(21)… his parents is more prone to …(22)… spoilt. Such a child becomes arrogant and insolent …(23)… of the overindulgence and over-protection of the parents. Sometimes it …(24)… seen that a …(25)… child also tends to become a nuisance.
16. (A) them (B) the (C) a (D) an (Ans : C)
17. (A) a (B) the (C) an (D) them (Ans : B)
18. (A) at (B) on (C) over (D) under (Ans : D)
19. (A) those (B) this (C) that (D) these (Ans : C)
20. (A) much (B) more (C) little (D) less (Ans : A)
21. (A) off (B) for (C) of (D) in (Ans : C)
22. (A) become (B) becoming (C) becomes (D) became (Ans : B)
23. (A) so (B) and (C) why (D) because (Ans : D)
24. (A) is (B) ale (C) was (D) were (Ans : A)
25. (A) neglect (B) neglected (C) neglects (D) neglecting (Ans : B)
Directions (Qs. 26 to 30) : In these questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence (A, B, C) has an error. If a sentence is free from error, then (D) is the answer.
26. Paradise Lost (A)/ is (B)/ a epic poem. (C)/ No error. (D) (Ans : C)
27. After toiling very hardly (A) / over a long period of time (B)/ he found that he had met no profit at all. (C)/ No error. (D) (Ans : A)
28. Excuse (A)/ me (B)/ interrupting you. (C)/ No error. (D) (Ans : B)
29. At this time of the year (A)/ the mountains are (B)/ usually covered with ice (C)/ No error (D). (Ans : C)
30. One of my friends (A)/ are (B)/ an I.A.S. officer. (C)/ No error. (D) (Ans : B)
Directions (Qs. 31 to 35) : In these questions, sentence are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word( s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four.
31. This man was an accomplice………. the thief.
(A) of (B) in (C) with (D) from (Ans : A)
32. The sick units are detached………. the main group of companies.
(A) off (B) from (C) with (D) by (Ans : B)
33. Let me congratulate you………. your success.
(A) at (B) for (C) with (D) on (Ans : D)
34. She had always hoped that her daughter would become………. doctor.
(A) an (B) the (C) a (D) None of the above (Ans : C)
35. Due to heavy rains, water had………. in the lowlying areas.
(A) gathered (B) stagnated (C) assembled (D) entered (Ans : B)
Directions (Qs. 36 to 40) : In these questions, choose the word opposite in meaning to the given word.
(A) Joyful (B) Helpful (C) Friendly (D) Violent (Ans : C)
(A) Feminine (B) Androgynous (C) Soft (D) Manly (Ans : D)
(A) Rebuked (B) Praised (C) Admonished (D) Shouted (Ans : B)
(A) Composure (B) Imbalance (C) Stability (D) Inequality (Ans : B)
(A) Paragon (B) Pronounce (C) Plethora (D) Persuade (Ans : C)
Directions (Qs. 41 to 45) : Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
(A) Accelerate (B) Delay (C) Hinder (D) Stop (Ans : A)
(A) Temporary (B) Durable (C) Timely (D) Transparent (Ans : A)
(A) Compile (B) Make up for (C) Result in (D) Complete (Ans : B)
(A) Pardon (B) Corrupt (C) Avenge (D) Rejoice (Ans : C)
(A) Endemic (B) Local (C) Widespread (D) Natural (Ans : C)
Directions (Qs. 46 to 50) : In these questions, four alternatives are given for the Idiom/Phrase underlined in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase.
46. Deepak did not care for his family, he wanted to gather roses only.
(A) to save money miserly (B) to paint a rosy picture of the past
(C) to seek all enjoyments of life (D) to obtain fame by hardwork (Ans : C)
47. A close-fisted person–
(A) A powerful person (B) A miser (C) A close friend (D) A cowardly person (Ans : B)
48. To feather one’s nest–
(A) To harbour ill feelings (B) To build one’s house
(C) To enrich oneself when opportunity occurs (D) To get something in abundance (Ans : C)
49. Our school is within a stone’s throw.
(A) within a certain radius (B) very far off
(C) at a short distance (D) within a definite distance (Ans : C)
50. I want to tell you in a nut shell, lust for money and power ruined her life.
(A) to tell as objectively as possible (B) confidentially
(C) in detail (D) in a brief manner(Ans : D)