What is Yoga and Yoga Benefits
By Roopali Thapliyal | Yoga | Sep 13, 2017
What is Yoga?
Yoga means the union of the individual soul with the universal spirit and it is derived from the Sanskrit word “Yuj”. It means finding the keys to the nature of the existence. Yoga is not just exercise and asana; it is the emotional integration and spiritual elevation with a touch of the mystic element which gives you a glimpse of something beyond all imagination. It not just about bending and twisting your body or holding your health, it is a mechanism and a technology to get you to that state of experience where you see reality just the way it is.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga has so many benefits that positively affect you both physically and mentally. While a regular practicing of yoga you can enjoy many health benefits. Here we are sharing just a few of the benefits of yoga – physical, mental and biochemical.
Physical Benefits of Yoga:
- Strength – When you practice yoga, you are necessary to hold up the weight of your body in many ways that can increase strength.
- Muscle tone – The result of being stronger is you can see that your muscle tones improve.
- Flexibility – It can help you to become flexible by stretching your body.
- Prevention of pain – People who are flexible and strong are less likely to experience back pains or other types of pain.
- Yoga decreases pulse rate
- Decreases blood pressure
- Cardiovascular and respiratory effectiveness increases
- Normalizes gastrointestinal function
- Normalizes the function of endocrine system
- Increases the strength of gripping
Mental Benefits of Yoga:
- Reduce stress – Yoga is perfect for reducing stress. Since concentration is mandatory in Yoga, it helps your body to forget troubles and stress that you encounter in your daily life.
- Mental calmness – Breathing from your thoughts can help calm the mind. Focusing on what the body is doing will make the mind calm and cool.
- Body alertness – Yoga can help you improve self-confidence and stance. Doing it regularly can increase the attentiveness of your body.
Biochemical Benefits of Yoga:
- Decreases the glucose, cholesterol, sodium, white blood cell count and catecholamine in the body.
- Increases serum protein, vitamin c, thyroxin, lymphocyte, hemoglobin, hematocrit, ATPase, and cholinesterase.
So if you want to know all the benefits of yoga, counting them is close to impossible. Yoga has a lot of advantages that will keep your body in good shape and be performing well.